Washington Post Publisher Katharine Weymouth yesterday canceled plans
for a series of policy dinners at her home after learning that
marketing fliers offered corporate underwriters access to Post
journalists, Obama administration officials and members of Congress in
exchange for payments as high as $250,000.
"Absolutely, I'm disappointed," Weymouth said in an interview. "This
should never have happened. The fliers got out and weren't vetted. They
didn't represent at all what we were attempting to do. We're not going
to do any dinners that would impugn the integrity of the newsroom."
The fliers were approved by a top Post marketing executive, Charles
Pelton, who said it was "a big mistake" on his part and that he had
done so "without vetting it with the newsroom." He said that Kaiser
Permanente had orally agreed to pay $25,000 to sponsor a July 21
health-care dinner at Weymouth's Northwest Washington home, and that
Rep. Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.) had agreed to be a guest. Pelton, who serves
as general manager for conferences and events, said he had invited
two-dozen business executives, advocates and presidential health
adviser Nancy-Ann DeParle.
But a White House spokeswoman said no senior administration officials
had agreed to attend, and an aide to DeParle said she had received no
such invitation.
Executive Editor Marcus Brauchli said he was "appalled" by the plan.
"It suggests that access to Washington Post journalists was available
for purchase," Brauchli said. The proposal "promises we would suspend
our usual skeptical questioning because it appears to offer, in
exchange for sponsorships, the good name of The Washington Post."
The Post Co. fliers offered an "intimate and exclusive Washington
Post Salon, an off-the-record dinner and discussion at the home of CEO
and Publisher Katharine Weymouth." The fliers, which said participants
would be charged $25,000 to sponsor a single salon and $250,000 to
underwrite an annual series of 11 sessions, were reported yesterday by
Politico.
The full-color flier for the July 21 dinner said: "Bring your
organization's CEO or executive director literally to the table.
Interact with key Obama Administration and Congressional leaders . . .
Spirited? Yes. Confrontational? No. The relaxed setting in the home of
Katharine Weymouth assures it." The dinner, it said, would involve
"health-care reporting and editorial staff members of The Washington
Post . . . an exclusive opportunity to participate in the health-care
reform debate among the select few who will actually get it done."
Weymouth, who had not seen the marketing copy, said that "we will
never compromise our journalistic integrity." But she said other news
organizations sponsor similar conferences and that she remains
comfortable with the basic idea of lobbyists or corporations
underwriting dinners with officials and journalists as long as those
paying the fees have no control over the content.
But precisely what would be acceptable remains unclear. Asked
whether the forums she envisions might still be viewed as buying access
to Post journalists, Weymouth said, "I suppose you could spin it that
way, but that is not the way it would have been done." She said the
situation would be comparable to a company buying an ad in the
newspaper while knowing that it "might hate the content" on that page.
Brauchli, who is listed on the flier as a host and discussion
leader, had been involved in discussions with Weymouth and other
executives stretching back to last year. He said he made clear to the
company's marketing division that Post journalists would participate
only if they could control the nature of any such conference. Brauchli
said his conditions included multiple sponsors for an extended series
of forums, rather than companies financing a single dinner involving
their industry; a balanced lineup of participants from across the
political spectrum; and no charge for the invited guests.
But even with those caveats, the off-the-record format would ensure
that The Post could not report on the discussions, even as its name was
being used to lure high-profile newsmakers.
"We expressed our concerns and are disappointed by this outcome,"
Brauchli said of the fliers, which were labeled "Underwriting
Opportunity." "I would ascribe it to a lack of effective communication
internally."
Even without the newsroom's participation, the aggressively worded
pitch conveys the impression that The Post is offering special
interests access to administration officials and lawmakers, raising a
separate set of concerns about a dubious partnership with those covered
by the newspaper. The Post often questions whether corporations, unions
and trade associations receive access or favors in return for campaign
contributions.
Access to Weymouth herself, a granddaughter of longtime publisher Katharine Graham
who took over as chief executive of Washington Post Media last year,
would be deemed valuable by those trying to influence The Post's
editorial policies and news coverage.
Tom Fiedler, dean of Boston University's College of Communication,
said news organizations should be a neutral broker among differing
interests and that "what The Post was looking to do was to make a
profit on the role of the convener. . . . The idea of crossing a
boundary line that seems to me painted so brightly white, I'm
astonished that it got this far."
Pelton co-owned Modern Media, a California-based firm that staged
conferences, before joining The Post Co. two months ago. "We should
never imply that there's a possible link between coming [to dinners]
and access, either to the leaders or the policymakers or the
journalists," he said, conceding that he had been "sloppy . . . in my
enthusiasm to get the salons up and running without properly thinking
through the implications of what was written."
John Spragens, a spokesman for Cooper, said that once the Tennessee
Democrat learned the details of the dinner, he would not have attended
"a radioactive event. . . . You don't want to be put in a position as a
congressman where someone's buying access to you."
Sybil Wartenberg, a spokeswoman for California-based Kaiser
Permanente, said the company had not made a final decision to finance
the dinner -- no contract had been signed -- and was not attempting to
buy influence. "Our organization is not as well-known on the East
Coast," she said. "We're keenly interested in reform and want to be at
the table for discussions."
The controversy led White House counsel Gregory Craig to remind
administration officials that they need advance approval to participate
in such events. His memo said that "federal ethics rules restricting
the acceptance of gifts govern your ability to accept free admission to
events put on by a nongovernmental sponsor."
A number of media companies charge substantial fees for conferences
with big-name executives and government officials, but in many cases
the sessions are open for news coverage.
This week, for instance, Atlantic Media is sponsoring the Aspen
Ideas Festival, underwritten by Altria, Boeing, Booz Allen Hamilton,
Ernst & Young, Mercedes-Benz, Philips, Shell and Thomson Reuters.
Speakers include White House economic adviser Austan Goolsbee, U.N.
Ambassador Susan Rice, Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Supreme Court
Justice Stephen Breyer and Google CEO Eric Schmidt, along with
journalists for Atlantic and other media outlets.
Atlantic Editor James Bennet said the festival, co-sponsored by the
Aspen Institute, "is open to the press . . . and we're videotaping it.
We have editorial control over it. We decide what the panels are and
who's on them. There are absolutely no constraints put on it at all."
In March, the Wall Street Journal brought together global finance
leaders -- including Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Australian
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd -- for a two-day conference sponsored by
Nasdaq and hosted by Robert Thomson, the Journal's top editor, and
other editors and reporters. Outside journalists were invited to the
session, which was on the record and webcast by the Journal.
Participants, who paid several thousand dollars to attend, also had a
White House meeting with economic adviser Lawrence Summers, which was
off the record at his request.
The Journal also holds conferences with its All Things Digital unit.
A session in May, described as offering "unmatched access to the
technology industry's elite," was sponsored by Hewlett-Packard and
Qualcomm, among others, and featured the CEOs of Microsoft, Yahoo, NBC
Universal, AT&T and Twitter, as well as Weymouth.
The New Yorker hosts an annual festival in Manhattan featuring its
editors and writers along with other journalists, authors and
entertainers. The gathering planned for October is sponsored by
American Airlines, Delta, Westin Hotels and Banana Republic.
Weymouth has come under increasing pressure to find new sources of
revenue. The Post Co. lost $19.5 million in the first quarter and just
completed its fourth round of early-retirement buyouts in several
years.
Many Post journalists were stunned by the Politico story and angry
about the fliers. Weymouth told the staff in an afternoon e-mail that
the flier "completely misrepresented what we were trying to do," but
added: "We do believe that there is a viable way to expand our
expertise into live conferences and events that simply enhances what we
do -- cover Washington for Washingtonians and those interested in
Washington."
|