2 Journalists Charged with Felonies Covering Occupy Santa Cruz Protests Posted by Jessica Pasko onSanta Cruz Sentinel | ||
Two men facing charges in
connection with the takeover of a former bank are slated for a
preliminary hearing Tuesday. Their attorneys say the men are
photojournalists and were working in that capacity when the alleged
violations took place. Alex Darocy, Bradley Stuart Allen and nine other people are charged
with two felony counts of vandalism and conspiracy, and two misdemeanor
counts of trespassing. The charges stem from the takeover of the
building at 75 River St. late last year. In that incident, a group
claiming to be acting "anonymously and autonomously" but in solidarity
with Occupy Santa Cruz remained in the building for nearly three days
before leaving peacefully. Darocy and Allen, who pleaded not guilty to the charges last month,
are photojournalists who have done work for a number of outlets,
including Santa Cruz Indymedia, according to defense attorneys George
Gigarjian and Ben Rice. Allen has worked as a freelance photojournalist covering social
issues for more than a decade, Rice said. His attendance of Occupy
protests in Santa Cruz were in the capacity of a photojournalist, with
the sole purpose of documenting events through his photography, he
said. Likewise, Girgarjian says his client was documenting a news event. "Alex is an established photojournalist and we're in the position
that he was there in that capacity," Gigarjian said of the charges. Rice has reached out to the National Press Photographers
Association, of which Allen is a member. Mickey Osterreicher, general counsel for the organization, said he
has been dealing with similar situations around the country as dozens
of journalists have been swept up in mass arrests at protests. "I think the normal tension between the police and the press has
been exacerbated by the Occupy movement," he said, adding that the
organization is hoping the court will dismiss these charges. Gigarjian and Rice opted to split off their defendants from the nine
other defendants for the purpose of the preliminary hearing. The rest
of the defendants are scheduled to begin their hearing in April. |