On May 3, 2001, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) named Colombian
paramilitary leader Carlos Castaño to its annual list of the ten worst
enemies of the press. Six weeks later, a reporter from the Paris daily Le
Monde caught up with Castaño in northern Colombia and asked how
he felt about the distinction."I would like to assure you that I have
always respected the freedom and subjectivity of the press," said the
leader of the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (AUC), Colombia's leading
right-wing paramilitary organization. "But I have never accepted that
journalism can become an arm at the service of one of the actors of the conflict.
Over the course of its existence the AUC has executed two local journalists
who were in fact guerrillas." He no longer remembered their names.
Since 1999, in fact, forces under Castaño's command have been linked
to the murders of at least four journalists, the abduction and rape of one
reporter, and threats against many others, according to CPJ research. "Against
the violent backdrop of Colombia's escalating civil war, in which all sides
have targeted journalists, Carlos Castaño stands out as a ruthless
enemy of the press," CPJ's citation noted.
This self-confessed murderer of journalists is now turning to the local
press in an effort to rehabilitate his image in Colombia. To that end, Castaño
has launched a uniquely Colombian public relations campaign, seemingly modeled
after tactics employed by legendary drug lord Pablo Escobar. Not unlike Escobar,
Castaño's strategy combines a charm offensive with forthright acknowledgements
of the AUC's use of terror.
While Escobar attacked journalists who favored his extradition to the United
States to face drug trafficking charges, Castaño attacks any journalist
whom he suspects of cooperating or even sympathizing with Colombia's left-wing
rebels. This year, Castaño admitted that he had murdered journalists
and tried to bomb a newspaper for its alleged communist sympathies. He has
been implicated in many other attacks on the press in recent years.
In November 2000, Castaño granted an exclusive interview to the Bogotá weekly Semana.
The reporter asked whether Castaño thought he deserved to be compared
to the late Escobar. "There is no way you can compare me with a monster
like that," replied Castaño. "While he sought to destroy
the country, I intend to save it."
Old war
Eleven years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Cold War remains hot
in Colombia. The U.S.-backed Colombian military has been fighting against
various Marxist guerrilla organizations for nearly forty years. The army
frequently collaborates with private paramilitary groups, including the AUC,
which the Colombian government has outlawed. Last year, Human Rights Watch
reported that half of the army's 18 brigades were sharing intelligence and
other resources with rightist paramilitary groups, most of them under Castaño's
command.
Since the 1980s, both right-wing paramilitaries and left-wing guerrillas
have increasingly been supported by profits from Colombia's burgeoning trade
in illegal drugs.
Carlos Castaño is Colombia's top paramilitary leader as well as the
country's leading fugitive. He is currently wanted on multiple murder, kidnapping,
and arms trafficking charges dating back to 1988. He is also "a major
drug trafficker," according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration
(DEA). Last April, U.S. ambassador to Colombia Anne W. Patterson told the
Bogotá newspaper El Espectador that if Castaño is involved
in drug trafficking, "and we think he is," the United States might
one day seek to prosecute him in the United States.
Childhood memories
In 1981, when Carlos Castaño was 15 years old, his father was kidnapped
and murdered by leftist guerrillas. At 23, he allegedly participated in a
series of massacres of banana pickers in northwestern Colombia. Also known
as "Monoleche" (Milkwhite) because of his fair complexion, Carlos
allegedly killed at the side of his brother Fidel, and both brothers joined
Colombia's first national paramilitary organization, "Death to Kidnappers" (MAS).
According to DEA documents, MAS was founded in 1981 by Escobar's Medellín
cartel. But the Castaño brothers and Escobar later fell out. Fidel
Castaño became chief of operations for a paramilitary strike force
called "Los Pepes" (People Persecuted by Pablo Escobar). Following
Fidel's mysterious 1994 disappearance in northern Colombia, Carlos emerged
as Colombia's leading anti-communist militant.
Three years later, Carlos Castaño unified a number of regional
rightist groups to form a national paramilitary organization called the
United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (AUC). In 1997, Castaño admits,
he ordered the massacre of 49 peasants in rural Mapiripán, eastern
Colombia. Since then, Castaño and his allies have committe d
about 80 percent of Colombia's human rights abuses, according to Human
Rights Watch. The Colombian Defense Ministry reports that rightist paramilitaries
carried out three-fourths of the country's massacres last year.
"Guerrillas, whether in uniform or civilian clothes, remain a legitimate
military objective," Castaño said on camera on March 1, 2000,
when he showed his face to Colombians and others for the first time. "I
know this violates international humanitarian law."
On May 30 of this year, Castaño issued a cryptic online communiqué announcing
his resignation as military commander of the outlawed AUC. Days later, he
announced that he was forming a nonviolent political organization, linked
to the AUC, that would seek legal recognition in Colombia (none was granted).
And he continued to grant interviews.
AUC meets the press
Journalists have figured prominently among Castaño's victims. In
January 1999, for example, Castaño repeatedly threatened Alfredo Molano
Bravo of the Bogotá newspaper El Espectador after Molano wrote
a story about anti-communist paramilitary groups and their ties to Colombian
drug traffickers.
In June 1999, AUC members threatened Carlos Pulgarín, a reporter
for Bogotá's largest daily, El Tiempo, after Pulgarín
wrote an article about paramilitary assassinations of indigenous activists.
Pulgarín fled to Peru, where his movements were apparently monitored;
he later received telephone threats in Lima.
On September 16, 1999, two assassins on a motorcycle shot and killed Guzmán
Quintero Torres, editor of the northern Colombian daily El Pilón.
Quintero was investigating several AUC-linked murders at the time, including
the 1998 slaying of television journalist Amparo Leonor Jiménez Pallares,
who was killed after she reported that local paramilitary forces had murdered
peasants.
On September 9, 2000, AUC paramilitaries abducted and killed a rural community
leader named Carlos José Restrepo Rocha, who ran two small regional
publications. AUC fliers were left next to Restrepo Rocha's bullet-ridden
corpse, but the motive for this particular murder remains unclear. Later
that year, AUC members threatened Eduardo Luque Díaz, of the daily La
Nación, at his office and home, demanding that he reveal the whereabouts
of a family he had mentioned in a story.
On April 27 of this year, Flavio Bedoya, a southwestern Colombia correspondent
for the Communist Party weekly La Voz, was murdered. Colleagues believed
the murder was linked to a series of highly critical reports that Bedoya
had published in La Voz since the beginning of April about collusion
between the security forces and outlawed right-wing paramilitary gangs in
southern Nariño Department.
One month after Bedoya's death, the AUC tried unsuccessfully to bomb the
Bogotá offices of La Voz. Castaño took responsibility for the
incident a few days later.
On October 31, 2000, rural community radio station director Juan Camilo
Restrepo Guerra was summoned to a meeting by rightist paramilitaries who
were apparently incensed by his sharp criticisms of the local administration.
Restrepo Guerra's brother drove him on a motorcycle to the rendezvous site.
The paramilitaries shot Restrepo Guerra dead in front of his brother, who
has since declined to testify and has gone into hiding.
Journalists who choose to remain in Colombia despite Castaño's intimidation
privately admit that they censor their own reports to protect themselves
and their families. "Of course I censor myself," said one threatened
journalist who elected to stay. "You have to tell the story, but there
are some things I can't include."
Carrot and stick
Although journalists all over Colombia have been threatened and attacked
for daring to criticize the AUC, Castaño has also used the press to
launch a PR offensive. The formerly reclusive leader has "gained public
visibility in the national and international media with disconcerting ease," according
to a March 2001 report by the United Nations' human rights office in Colombia.
"Carlos Castaño, Colombia's fugitive paramilitary leader, unleashed
a national stir when he stepped from the shadows and submitted to a ninety-minute,
one-on-one interview, televised on March 1 [2000]," wrote then-U.S.
Ambassador Curtis W. Kamman in a recently declassified U.S. embassy cable. "The
35-year-old Castaño appeared intelligent, articulate, well-poised,
and, above all, very charismatic."
Nearly one in five Colombian adults watched at least half the program, about
the same percentage that supports Castaño, according to opinion polls.
Since that first television appearance, Castaño has made himself freely
available to both domestic and foreign reporters.
The Garzón murder
While Castaño has been linked to numerous attacks on the press, he
currently faces just one criminal charge over an attack on a journalist.
The charge, aggravated homicide, relates to the 1999 murder of Colombian
television host Jaime Garzón. According to the official charge sheet,
Castaño ordered Garzón's murder because of the journalist's
role in negotiating the release of hostages held by leftist guerrillas.
The 39-year-old Garzón was a morning news host for the Caracol network
and a regular columnist for the weekly magazine Cambio. But Garzón
was best known for his work as a television comedian who used humor to criticize
all factions in the civil conflict. He specialized in uncannily accurate
impersonations of Colombian officials and other notables and was so popular
across Colombia that in 1997, then-presidential candidate Andrés Pastrana
Arango appeared live with other candidates on his TV show.
Garzón regularly traded on his stature as a well-respected broadcaster
to negotiate for the release of victims of guerrilla kidnappings. He also
served on an independent commission that mediated between the government
and the leftist guerrillas of the National Liberation Army (ELN).
Two points emerge clearly from the Garzón case. First, some of Colombia's
most dangerous criminals work for Carlos Castaño; and second, not
even famous and well-connected journalists are safe from him.
On August 10, 1999, Garzón heard that Castaño was planning
to kill him. The news was conveyed by a Colombian senator named Piedad Córdoba,
who chaired the Senate's human rights committee at the time. In late 1998,
Castaño's men kidnapped Córdoba and held her for nine months.
During that time, Castaño told Córdoba that Garzón was
on his list of targets. Castaño read her excerpts from what he said
were transcripts of Garzón's private telephone conversations. He claimed
that the transcripts proved Garzón was really a guerrilla.
After Córdoba was released in June 1999, she told Garzón that
Castaño was planning to eliminate him. During the second week of August,
Garzón learned that Castaño had ordered him killed by the end
of that week. On August 10, desperate to get in touch with Castaño,
Garzón visited La Modelo prison, a maximum-security installation in
Bogotá where several important AUC figures are incarcerated.
According to the charge sheet, Garzón met with Ángel Custodio
Gaitán Mahecha, also known as "The Baker," and with Jhon
Jairo Velásquez Vásquez, also known as "Popeye." Velásquez
was an early 1990s Escobar loyalist who later transferred his allegiance
to the AUC. Both were well-connected members of the Colombian underworld.
Gaitán used his cell phone to call Castaño. He handed the
phone to Garzón, who pleaded with Castaño to spare his life.
Castaño called Garzón a son of a *censored* who supported the guerrillas
and added that he was a coward who didn't have the guts to meet him face
to face. Before hanging up, the two men arranged to meet the following Saturday,
August 14.
On August 13, a motorcycle-riding gunman shot Garzón dead at a traffic
light just four blocks from his office. A few hours later, Castaño
himself called Garzón's radio show and denied responsibility on the
air. Velásquez and Gaitán also claim they had nothing to do
with Garzón's death.
The gunman who shot Garzón allegedly belonged to a criminal band
known as La Terraza. In the past, La Terraza carried out attacks for the
late Pablo Escobar. However, Castaño admits he has hired La Terraza
to carry out a number of crimes in recent years, including kidnappings. The
official government charge sheet accuses him of hiring La Terraza to kill
Garzón.
On August 3, 2000, three months after Castaño was formally charged
with Garzón's murder, he invited seven La Terraza leaders to a meeting
in northern Colombia. Authorities later discovered all seven of their corpses
near a local road. Meanwhile, Castaño issued a communiqué saying
that the AUC had executed them for giving leaders like him a bad name.
Three months later, several young men who claimed to be La Terraza members
surfaced in Medellín. Wearing masks, they taped a television interview
in which they claimed to have committed many kidnappings and murders on behalf
of the AUC, including the Garzón assassination. During the interview,
they claimed that Castaño was planning to kill them and their families
with the help of local police and military forces. Castaño did not
deny the accusation. In March 2001, he told El Tiempo that only one
or two members of the band were still alive.
War on El Espectador
On May 24, 2000, a suspected AUC militant tried to abduct Ignacio Gómez,
an investigative reporter with El Espectador, in downtown Bogotá.
The man who failed to trick Gómez into boarding a "taxi" that
day matched the composite sketch of an AUC suspect in the massacre of 49
peasant farmers at Mapiripán in 1997.
Gómez had just published a story that documented the Colombian Army's
collaboration with the AUC in the Mapiripán massacre. That same day,
Gómez found an envelope with his name stenciled on it in his mailbox
at work. The envelope contained a photocopy of a recent article by Jineth
Bedoya, one of his colleagues at El Espectador.
Bedoya had reported that La Modelo prison guards were allowing AUC inmates
to keep guns in their cells even after clashes between them and other inmates
that left 25 prisoners dead, 18 wounded, and an undetermined number missing,
according to a United Nations report on the incident.
Bedoya and her editor, Jorge Cardona, received identical envelopes. An hour
and a half later, Bedoya's telephone rang. Gaitán was calling from
his cell in La Modelo. He offered Bedoya the opportunity to interview him
at the prison at 10:00 a.m. the next day. He promised the 25-year-old reporter
an exclusive and asked her to come alone.
Cardona insisted on accompanying Bedoya and on bringing a photographer.
The three El Espectador journalists arrived at La Modelo shortly before
10:00 a.m. on May 25. Prison guards told them to wait.
The visitors waiting area is just inside the entrance to La Modelo, although
many visitors prefer to wait in the street just outside the entrance. Cardona
and the photographer walked to a nearby concession stand to buy sodas, leaving
Bedoya standing in front of the prison entrance. She stayed within view and
earshot of the waiting area in case the guards cleared them to enter the
jail.
Bedoya disappeared during the few minutes it took her colleagues to buy
the sodas and return to the prison entrance. The prison guards claimed they
had seen nothing.
At 8 p.m., the police reported that Bedoya had been admitted to a police
medical clinic in the city of Villavicencio, a three-hour drive from La Modelo.
A taxi driver found her lying with her hands tied in a garbage dump on the
outskirts of town. She had been drugged, brutally beaten, and sexually assaulted.
Bedoya was found in a state of nervous collapse but eventually recovered
from the attack and returned to work at El Espectador.
During the assault, the men told her in graphic detail about all the other
journalists whom they planned to kill, including her colleague Gómez.
They did not explain why they chose to free her. A week later, Gómez
fled to the United States.
No suspects have been charged in the attack on Bedoya. Gaitán and
Velásquez both denied any role in her abduction, as do La Modelo prison
authorities.
In a June 2000 interview with El Tiempo, Castaño also disclaimed
responsibility for Bedoya's ordeal. He acknowledged that Gaitán was
his subordinate, but claimed that Gaitán had assured him he was not
involved.
On the evening of September 7, 2001, Gaitán was murdered in a prison
called La Picota. He was apparently killed by leftist guerrilla inmates in
retaliation for last year's jailhouse massacre at La Modelo.
The hunt for Castaño
Since the death of Pablo Escobar, no Colombian has terrorized so many members
of the Colombian press, to say nothing of Colombian society in general. Carlos
Castaño's extraordinary assault against local journalists comes as
the Colombian government is receiving a record amount of U.S. aid. On September
10, as U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell was about to leave on a visit
to Colombia, the State Department formally designated the AUC as a terrorist
organization.
Yet U.S.-backed Colombian forces have so far been powerless to stop Castaño.
As a result, he has enjoyed complete impunity for his crimes. The Attorney
General's Office was the only Colombian law enforcement agency that even
tried to pursue Castaño. Earlier this year, its civilian agents launched
a series of raids against the AUC. But they complained of working without
the support of the military or other government bodies. "In this struggle
the Attorney General's office has been alone," chief investigator Pablo
Elías González told El Tiempo in June 2000.
At that time, the AUC had just kidnapped seven members of González's
staff while they were exhuming the corpse of an alleged AUC victim in Cesar
State. All seven investigators remain missing and are presumed dead at the
hands of Castaño's men. 
Frank Smyth is an investigative reporter and is the Committe to Protect
Journalists’s Washington representative. This article was originally
published by the Committee to Protect Journalists (www.cpj.org).
Reprinted by permission.
Paramilitaries on patrol in Putumayo
Photo: Garry M. Leech |